Challenge

chal-lenge: noun a calling to account or into question

Follow along as I challenge the tricks, tips, clever craft and decorating ideas and "simple" recipes that we clip, bookmark, and "pin" for trial at a later date.

Are they really worth the effort? Time (and I) will tell!



Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Mommy and Me

So a whole month has gone by without a project or a post from me. That’s not to say that I have had a lack of inspiration or challenges to overcome. My projects have just been piling up all around me! Spring always brings a flurry of activity trying to get the yard in order as well as an increase in my travels. My paid job has been a challenge lately too as I just try to keep up. It saps up a lot of my energy and that’s just not right!

Speaking about traveling, while visiting my mom this week-end I came up with a joint challenge. I thought this time around I would choose a partner to keep myself motivated. Have you ever heard of up cycling? It means to change an item either old or new to give it a new use or purpose. I have been intrigued by some of the ideas I’ve seen floating around and want to give it a try. My mother is the queen of upcycling. She can take just about anything and turn it into a work of art. I’m not sure I’ll be able to keep up with her but I’m going to give it a try.


The rules of the challenge are simple. First, each weekend we must independently buy an item at a yard sale, antique shop, etc. to up cycle. This means that we cannot simply use something hanging around the house or complete a previously proposed project (Yikes!). Second, the purchased item must either be changed into a different use entirely or used as part of another project. The resulting product does not have to be useful to either of us or even anything either of us necessarily wants. The idea is to be creative and not get caught up with the practicality of our end product. That being said, if you see something you like or want, let us know and we’ll ship it out! Who knows what will happen with all our “stuff” but I look forward to figuring it out.

Each week I will post our new creations and the story behind them. This isn’t a competition but I’m betting my projects will be fairly simple while my mom’s will be more elaborate and that’s okay. The idea is to relax and have a good time. I made my purchase this week-end and have spent a few days developing my idea (which has changed several times) and am ready to move on to the implementation stage. Stay tuned, this is going to be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment